Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can I use dawn dish soap to wash my dogs?

I have 3 dogs and I just ran out of dog shampoo...2 still really need a bath....


I heard you can, but I don't want to hurt them or anything.Can I use dawn dish soap to wash my dogs?
You can, but don't use it all the time for their baths. You also have to rinse REALLY WELL to get it all out, or it can bother them and cause skin issues.Can I use dawn dish soap to wash my dogs?
actually, that's a pretty interesting question because i know that dish soap is used, for example, to scrub oil-spill victims like penguins clean.


i'll google this, i'm pretty curious myself..





wow, according to MANY different pages and people, YES, you can use dawn dish soap. in fact, it's very effective in killing fleas! (if your dog has fleas, keep him or her lathered up for about ten minutes.)


oh, but only use the original formula, especially if you have a flea infestation; the new blue formula does NOT work for fleas, and i don't know about how effective it is for bathing.


however, it is recommended that you do *NOT* use it regularly. you can dry out their skin and make them itchy and uncomfortable.


i'm starting to find some conflicting info on it.. well, do what ya gotta.





do you have any baby shampoo? you shouldn't use human-intended shampoo on dogs because there is a difference in the ph levels, but baby shampoo (like tearless johnson's or whatever it is) is gentle enough and will work fine.
I wouldn't but its not going to hurt them unless you do it a lot. It will prob dry out their skin and cause dandruff though. Try an oatmeal based dog shampoo, very good for their skin. Also a dog shouldn't be bathed more then twice ever 6 months because it will damage their coats. Try brushing them and adding some dry shampoo, that's what I do to my dog. You have to brush them almost everyday though which is tedious but it works!
Yes, but it's very harsh to the hair and skin. Only use it sparingly and only if their covered in grease or something. I used it once on my hair because it was soooooo gross, and it dried it out but nothing terrible. Use it sparingly, but it won't hurt more than drying out and probably some dandruff.
It's not toxic, but will probably leave their hair dry and skin flaky. Head to the pet store and get yourself another bottle of dog shampoo. If you do use the Dawn, rinse very, very very thoroughly so no residue is left on their skin, it can be quite irritating.
why not go down to the local grocery store or pet supply store and get more shampoo? I would only use dog shampoo, and if in an emergency, unscented baby shampoo. Dish soap can and will irritate eyes, dries out skin(thus the term dishpan hands), etc.
I think I'd rather use baby or even human shampoo. Whatever you use, be doubly careful not to get it in the eyes!





And before anybody says - no Dawn does NOT get rid of fleas - not for more than a day anyway!





Chalice
I've used dishwashing liquid to wash my dogs but you should dilute it till it's half soap and half water. Then, after shampooing, RINSE WELL. Leave no trace of the soap anywhere on your dog and he should be fine.
Never! If you don't have dog shampoo, then I would use your shampoo. suave is the safest to use on your dogs if you have not other choice. Dog shampoo is always the best. Dawn dish soap is way to harsh.
No, if I was you I would just wait until you have the chance to go buy dog shampoo. Its not like they cant wait another day. You never know what can happen so if i was you i wouldn't even try.
They can use baby shampoo, or even your shampoo if you wanna make them smell really good! I always use my shampoo for their bodies, and baby shampoo for their faces since baby shampoo is tear free!
Hi, I had a kitchen fire and I have parrots. I had black soot all over the place. I called my Avian vet and she said to wash the birds in Dawn. Hope that helps.
Dawn has pretty strong chemical components for dogs and cats. You might try Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It's gentler and smells so good.
yes you can, just be careful not to get it in their eyes, or if you have baby shampoo you can also use that
I've never tried dawn before but if you rub a little bit of liquid downy fabric softener on them it softens their fur.
It will probably dry out their skin. You'd be better off using people shampoo
I use Baby shampoo. it's stong enough to cut oils and you can suds up thier faces without problem. My vet recommended it.
i would use my own shampoo before using dish soap. Would you use dish soap on your hair? I'm a cosmetologist, so i'm picky about my hair and what i use on my dog. or just wait and go buy some. I'm sure it can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment